<meta name='google-adsense-platform-account' content='ca-host-pub-1556223355139109'/> <meta name='google-adsense-platform-domain' content='blogspot.com'/> <!-- --><style type="text/css">@import url(https://www.blogger.com/static/v1/v-css/navbar/3334278262-classic.css); div.b-mobile {display:none;} </style> </head><body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/3674583875981875553?origin\x3dhttp://pretty-pencils.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Saturday, July 25, 2009

Dear Stomach, would you please stop churning?

Some thoughts that flashed my mind when I was sick to the core.

1) I would give away my clothes (even my secret stash that I haven't worn, F.W. clothes, the jackets I love and my pretty dresses) if that meant I could get well completely.

2) I would donate $100 (I know that is not alot but it is actually a lot to me to give away) if that meant I could get well completely.

3) If I continue eating the amount of medicine I am supposed to eat, would I get kidney and liver failure? I swear I felt one of them twitch in pain down my back.

4) Did I lose weight? I did. But I don't really want to lose weight in such an unhealthy way. I am gonna build my fitness back. I miss swimming so super damn much.

Okay, on a more serious note, I gained this revelation.

5) 能吃是福。I have always thought, from young, that these four Chinese words meant that it is a fortune that one is able to afford the food that is put on the table and that we should be grateful for it. Of course, we should count ourselves very lucky when we get to enjoy delicacies of all sorts. In all, I thought that the four words meant to teach us to appreciate what we have to eat because it is a blessing to have something to eat.

However, after being sick for so many days and having a really weak appetite throughout, I thought that these four words might mean something else too. 能吃 essentially means the ability to eat. Could this old Chinese saying actually be telling us that the very act of eating itself is indeed a blessing that many people have been taking for granted?

When I was in Secondary School, I did volunteer work at the Geriatric Ward at a certain hospital. My job was to assist the nurses in whatever my limited capabilities could. Therefore, I was most useful and busy during mealtimes, because at least, I could feed the disabled elderly pretty well. The luckiest ones could choose what they wanted to eat and did so heartily, the luckier ones could eat what they were told to eat, and the lucky ones could eat abit out of an extremely strict diet.

There were also the unfortunate ones. Some of them had to be fed formula milk. I poured the milk into the funnel scoop by scoop, and slowly waited for it to flow through the rubber tube and enter the patient's mouth. It was painful to watch. But perhaps I guess, the saddest ones were those who had the sign "NIL BY MOUTH" hung on their beds.

We should all really be counting our blessings now that we can eat and have so much to eat. I really cannot wait to regain my appetite! I would be so thankful!

10:09 PM

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥


Ang Xu Yun
Axy Pretty Pencils Pancakes Juliet
22
24 May 1988
NUS
angxuyun@hotmail.com

Tagboard


Archives
June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 January 2010 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010 May 2010 June 2010 July 2010 August 2010 September 2010 October 2010 November 2010 December 2010 January 2011